Please watch for the NETiquette... - English Version

For our english-speaking friends.
Gesperrt
HahNullMuehr
Forumane
Please watch for the NETiquette... - English Version

Beitrag von HahNullMuehr » Montag 21. November 2011, 23:18

This is the translation of the German post "Bitte auf die NETiquette achten..." by Stephan Hertz, June 3rd 2008

Some of the most important rules of all I want to quote here:
“1. Think first, then post

PMIGBOM (Put mind in gear before opening mouth) – on the other end of the data line there is also only a human being. So never write anything you wouldn’t tell the other one in front of others. Express yourself unmistakeably. You better read your message again before you post it, that means: sending it.

If you are writing ironically or if you are not at all serious mark these passages with smileys (like :wink:)… Silly sayings are allowed an desirable in some areas only.
Check the tone in the forum in question very well and omit vulgarity and flames. Everyone has got his right for a free opinion.

Never criticize anyone on behalf of ability to express or orthographic mistakes.”
“2. Brevity is the soul of wit!

News that extend over several pages not liked that much, so keep it short and express yourself precisely. We like to see the inserting of original text (“quoting”) which makes sense as long as there are only few words ore some lines copied. The authors of so called “Mega Quotes” or “Full Quotes”, ie a completely quoted post with a comment as short as possible at the end of the post are called Full Quotidiot …”
and they enjoy an accordingly negative reputation by most of the readers...

But not only here it sometimes lacks, equally disturbing are contentless postings and remarks to each and every topic.

Furthermore a special advice: The ranking system has not got any rank higher than “Forumane”, so you can’t win another trick here.

The moderators and me are really not keen on spending our limited time by stowing away the “derailments” of a few in order to keep up the positive and friendly atmosphere of all others in our forum.

Since I’m not a native speaker I would appreciate corrections an improve proposals.
Translation by
Zuletzt geändert von HahNullMuehr am Montag 21. November 2011, 23:43, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
Micha W. Muehr, Rösrath
Meine Bastelstunde gibt es auch auf YouTube.
Ich mach es lieber am Anfang exakt - und schluder später ein bisschen. Wenn ich schlampig anfange, krieg ich es am Ende nicht wieder genau.

HahNullMuehr
Forumane
Re: Please watch fo r the NETiquette... - English Version

Beitrag von HahNullMuehr » Montag 21. November 2011, 23:30

... and this is Stephan's sequel, posted originally in German on April 13th 2006

Topic: Quoting

Quoting makes sense if you refer to a posting that wasn’t written instantaneously before.

Nonsensical is a so-called “Full Quote”, quoting a complete posting. Please quote the direct reference only and replace the “unimportant” part by a […]. That way will make clear, what you refer to.
Stephan Hertz hat geschrieben: […]equally disturbing are contentless postings […]
The “silliest” is a Full Quote of a posting that is answered directly, because accordingly arises here the following:
Stephan Hertz hat geschrieben: The “silliest” is a Full Quote of a posting that is answered directly, because accordingly arises here the following
What do I win by this repetition? NOTHING, except that I’m stealing worthy traffic from the Wunderland and (loading) time from the fellow readers.
So please abstain completely from this kind of quotes !

Since I’m not a native speaker I would appreciate corrections an improve proposals.

Translation by
Micha W. Muehr, Rösrath
Meine Bastelstunde gibt es auch auf YouTube.
Ich mach es lieber am Anfang exakt - und schluder später ein bisschen. Wenn ich schlampig anfange, krieg ich es am Ende nicht wieder genau.

Gesperrt