Competition's coming!

For our english-speaking friends.
Antworten
Saphira123456

Competition's coming!

Beitrag von Saphira123456 » Sonntag 17. November 2013, 14:28

Hey, you two twins need to know you're going to have some serious competition when I turn 35!

I have plans to model the world, and I mean the entire world, not just parts of it, like you guys, and in O-Scale---and get this---in the golden age of the steam era!

I'm also planning an airport, as well as some other fancy stuff --- you'll just have to see it to believe it!

Lemme just give you a hint though--- One of the "fancy" items is a fantasy creature which was recently recreated --- albeit in robotic form --- by a company in Berlin! This particular creature was (I don't know if she [he?] still is or not) being used in a stage production; Germany's oldest! Sound familiar?
If it doesn't, let me give you a BIG clue: The creature's name (in this instance) is TRADINNO!

P.S.: The creature I just mentioned is going to be fully functional; live fire, roars; flies (with help, just like your planes/Bummel the bee), even walks and lays eggs! Eggs that hatch, if at all possible! By the way, the fact that I mentioned fire should provide another clue!

P.P.S.: The creature might even have a few chicks and some eggs!!

P.P.P.S.: Maybe I'll design it so you can push a button and have an egg come out that you can hatch yourself!

HaNull
Forumane

Re: Competition's coming!

Beitrag von HaNull » Sonntag 17. November 2013, 15:03

Saphira123456 hat geschrieben:Hey, you two twins need to know you're going to have some serious competition when I turn 35!
When will that be? My guess: in 23 years.

You will need a good name and a good CEO. Maybe Mr Viavra can join you ...
Where will you build the layout?
████████   Gruß aus NRW
████████   Thomas
████████   Multi-MISTler: 1. Siegburg (RSK) - 2. Köln rrh. - 3. Rheinbreitbach

Nordexpress
Forumane

Beitrag von Nordexpress » Sonntag 17. November 2013, 20:08

Best of luck - we can't wait - keep us posted when you have something to show!
Tschüss Nord-Express
"Die kleine Welt ist die grösste"
Mega Straßenbahnmuseum Dänemark

Stefan mit F
Forumane

Beitrag von Stefan mit F » Sonntag 17. November 2013, 20:13

Dear Saphira, dear HaNull,

I can acknowledge Mr Viavra as best CEO you could get for such a project. But let me also name Seibtie for his great experiences in merchandising ideas about gas stations to charge cars powered by electricity.

Please let us know all proceedings.

First you should ask constructors of model accessoires if they can supply prefabricated special material in 0-scale, maybe street plastics, tunnels, ramps, grass films etcetera. :dr.smile:

You will need all these things for a professional-looking layout!

MasterK

Beitrag von MasterK » Montag 18. November 2013, 10:11

HaNull hat geschrieben:When will that be? My guess: in 23 years.
Hi HaNull,

i raise your bet. 24 years!

Best regards!

Maik Costard
Forumane

Beitrag von Maik Costard » Montag 18. November 2013, 14:23

The name of the CEO ist Gerhard Vavra :)

Maik
Die blaue Schrift sind Links zum draufklicken

Saphira123456

Beitrag von Saphira123456 » Montag 18. November 2013, 20:20

To answer your concerns (and bets, for that matter):
  • I am 20 now, so only 15 more years to go until I can get started,
    I'm the CEO, and
    as far as where I'll build it, I'm going to look for a sizable piece of land to plunk down an Air Conditioned and Heated steel building from Armstrong Steel on, and build it in that.

HaNull
Forumane

Beitrag von HaNull » Dienstag 19. November 2013, 07:50

Saphira123456 hat geschrieben:as far as where I'll build it, I'm going to look for a sizable piece of land to plunk down an Air Conditioned and Heated steel building from Armstrong Steel on, and build it in that
Will you give us a clue where in America that will be?

It should be far from Greenville, SC - a layout bigger and better than MiWuLa will open in Greenville this month (in a beta version and they won't be better from the start).
████████   Gruß aus NRW
████████   Thomas

Saphira123456

Beitrag von Saphira123456 » Mittwoch 20. November 2013, 09:01

Hopefully in Texas, my home state!

Can you give me the new layout's website address (if they have one); I want to check out the competition before I start! I'm also planning on visiting Miniatur Wunderland either this year at Christmas or next, depending on when my mom agrees to go with me. (She's my only source of money right now, other than 40 bucks a week from the Federal Gov't. I have a mental disorder that's on the high end of the Autism Spectrum, as well as other problems, so I'm considered "Mentally Disabled", even though I've got a 130 IQ, and talk about stuff that mostly older and wiser people do, and do it intelligently). Anyway, I'm hoping to meet up with somebody who knows the twins personally, especially Gerrit; if not meet them personally myself; maybe over a cup of hot cocoa and a meal in the Bistro, and give them this message of friendly competition, as expected, personally. So, Gerrit, if you're watching this conversation, be advised: This is a personal challenge to you and your twin brother: Make the biggest, best and most realistic layout possible. May the best layout win! BTW, I'll be sponsoring international, neutral judges from all countries in the world that we're modeling to come and judge both layouts! Oh, and one more thing: I have a team of professional layout builders one town over to give me advice: Ever heard of T.W. Trainworx, now located in Dallas, Texas? They build and ship museum quality layouts all over the world!

Bernd 123
Bahnhofsjäger

Beitrag von Bernd 123 » Mittwoch 20. November 2013, 10:03

Hello,
Saphira123456 hat geschrieben:...I'm the CEO...
Why CEO ? Haubchef is also good. :LOLLOL: :LOLLOL: :LOLLOL:
Wir werden nicht älter, sondern besser !!!!
mfm 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020mini, 2021, 2022, 2023
Gewinner der 1JJCLBW, 13MC, 15MC, 20MC,, 23MC, 24MCW, XIV., XV., XVII.-MFM-WANDA-Pokal
FCKPTN

Nordexpress
Forumane

Beitrag von Nordexpress » Mittwoch 20. November 2013, 10:38

Dear Texan,

How could you benefit from your IQ in preparing for a Texas size model railroad layout?

1. Find model Railway Clubs in your region and national, find other layouts in the US - learn the trade. Try Google.

2. If you're really serious about understanding model railroading in Europe, I suggest you start learning German, at least so as you can read it. You may gain an enormous amount of experience understanding the numerous exhibitions in Germany and the German language area. Otherwise try Great Britain.

3. Start studying sales and marketing. Your term competition in relation to a Europe-wide and now world-wide known Hamburg landmark is sheer irrelevant. Your competition is next-door to you back in Texas.

4. If you want to make a living from it, it is not a question of the most realistic layout, it is a question of how will you be able to attract the general US public to your exhibition.

5. Concerning innovation, you talk about competition, but you just want to copy a concept.

6. Last not least tell your mother that women are particularly fond of the Hamburg exhibitioon - so rush to come and visit - no matter what your future will be. When you come to visit you might acquire some respect for what it took a dedicated crew of 50+ builders eleven years to realize.
Tschüss Nord-Express
"Die kleine Welt ist die grösste"
Mega Straßenbahnmuseum Dänemark

HaNull
Forumane

Beitrag von HaNull » Mittwoch 20. November 2013, 21:17

Saphira123456 hat geschrieben:Can you give me the new layout's website address (if they have one)
Not sure if they have a layout, but the site was around for a few years now:
www(dot)miniatureworldoftrains(dot)com

They have some impressive MiWuLa photos and impressive photos from their 2012 Xmas display.
████████   Gruß aus NRW
████████   Thomas

Saphira123456

Beitrag von Saphira123456 » Montag 14. Juli 2014, 06:20

Guys; I realize I haven't been around; nor have I been at the exhibition as of yet. I will, though probably within a few years. Right now; though, there have been some... developments... in the world of O-Scale. Thus; I've made some preliminary decisions. This post is a list of said decisions, and reasons for them.

1. Track: 3-Rail track, such as Lionel's. I know what you're gonna say: Lionel tubular isn't exact-scale. It's not even called scale. It's called Hi-Rail. I disagree. With Lionel's newer track; called FasTrack, all you need to do is weather it. It already has a plastic base which gives the appearance of a roadbed; complete with ballast. Ties are molded in; and the center "rail" really isn't that obvious unless you're really looking hard for it. That's due to it being nothing more than a flat; metal strip, not a rail! In other words; it's not your grandpa's tubular track anymore! The facts are; I prefer 3-Rail O-Scale; aka Hi-Rail over 2-Rail O-Scale track, because it makes trackside animations, such as the ones at most grade crossings, easier to do. My goals are realism; but one of the few things that will not be realistic is the 3-Rail track. But other than those who are reading this post; no one will ever know.

2. Train control: Lionel has released their operating protocols for their second-generation DCC system; called Legacy, into the public domain. You can now use a computer with a Wireless Network Adapter to control your Lionel trains; accessories, etc. Plus; Legacy has excellent backwards compatibility! With the right equipment, you can control any train made by Lionel or any of its' competitors. No matter the age. To run it via computer; you need a wireless-capable device and 2 modular LCS (Legacy Command System) components: a SensorTrack; plus an LCS Wi-Fi Module. (If you only want to run only the latest Legacy Control-fitted devices; not conventional locos (extra purchase required,) original, first-generation Lionel Command Control-equipped locos [white memory modules labeled with "TMCC 1 Steam" or "TMCC 1 Diesel"] or even the earlier Legacy locos [orange modules labeled with the corresponding locomotive's type (or nickname for some) and road number] that's all you need. [All Legacy locos from 2014 forward are designed to just roll over the SensorTrack instead using of a memory module in order to be "installed" into the Legacy System's OS. That means no more fumbling around when you want to install a new loco! However: you need to keep the modules you have; if any, just in case.]) The Wi-Fi module receives the commands sent by your wireless device; and then sends it to the Legacy Command Base; which then broadcasts the commands via the outside rails. Each locomotive has a unique 2-Digit ID number; usually the last two digits of the road number. Each locomotive "listens" for its' unique ID number; and responds only to the commands sent to that specific ID. (All Lionel command control-equipped locomotives come with an initial ID of 1; however it's easily changed to whatever you'd like. Lionel recommends you set it to the last two digits of the locomotive's road number.) Normally; you only need one remote/base set (the #990) per layout. (The exception is if you have more than 98 locomotives. Mine is a case-in-point example.) As I'll probably have a lot more than 98 locomotives; (and that's a severe understatement!) I'll probably need a large number of computers, etc.
3. Other vehicle controls: Legacy works for the trains; but for other things such as trolley stops; along with planes, ships, cars; etc., I'll need stuff similar to what you use: the Faller Car System, Delphi and other programming tools/languages, knowledge of things like infra-red transceivers, and of course; blueprints, photos, and scales from places like aircraft manufacturers and shipyards; as well as building plans, etc. I'll need to access tools like Google Earth and more. There's a lot to do; and I have to gather up quite a few people to do it. And I have to get off my butt and "get down on the shop floor" so to speak; and "get my hands dirty" from time to time.
4. Corrections and improvements: I'm going to have to be creative if I'm going to beat you all at the realism game. After all; you guys have one BIG lead; and you've got the realism factor pretty much in the bag! Only a few missing pieces and inaccuracies, plus at least 1 thing that is just absurd and will never happen in a million years, stands between you and complete realism. (I mean, c'mon! A rail tunnel from the US all the way across the Atlantic and into Germany? Even if it just went to England; we'd never finish drilling before we suffocated down there! And even if we did finish; many people would suffocate! In the Steam Era; which is what I'm modeling, it never would have been suggested, much less attempted! A tunnel of that length, at full-scale, would be crazy; even with today's equipment!) In general; when going for realism, inaccuracies are not tolerated; nor are mistakes. Any mistakes. If you have unrealistic items which are THAT big; your realism grade's an instant F, for Failed, in my book. Do you REALLY want an impartial; INTERNATIONAL judge to give you an F after just a cursory glance at the FLOOR between your first two sections? One look; and if he sees that tunnel, no matter if it's hot and he's sweating bullets from waiting outside, he'll enter but then he'll go straight to a sitting area, cameras still rolling, and you'll get a report-card grade: A big; fat, F. With just one F, he'll leave. No tour necessary. Your percentage grade for the entire layout: If he sees it, no matter how impressed he is with the other areas, it will be a VERY major issue. So; your percentage grade for the layout, if he sees the tunnel or its effects, will be 0%; no matter how impressed he was otherwise. If your "international fan community" saw a ZERO for an overall percentage; they'd be like, "I'm sorry I even liked the place. That tunnel needs to go; or I'll just stay clear." Then, Miniatur Wunderland will slowly become become "Miniatur Deserted-land." No more crowds; and no more expansions.
5. Theme = character requirements: Character requirements mean a great deal for realism. You don't put a firefighter with a hose in-hand and breathing apparatus on, at an open beach without a flame in sight! That's just not correct! Putting him at a building fire; preparing to charge headlong into the flames, heroically clearing a path for the other rescue workers by battling the blaze, and keeping them safe from the raging inferno, would be perfect. In order for a scene to make sense; you have to put stuff where it belongs. Also; if you want to get away from real, do it in a clearly marked area. (An example: you have a model of the mysterious Area 51; right where the REAL Area 51 is. You use it as an alien launch pad. Area 51's contents are Classified; but please. Aliens? I highly doubt it. UFOs maybe; but it's likely that many "UFOs" are just experimental military aircraft being flight-tested. We have had no contact; so as far as I'm concerned; aliens belong in the "Sci-Fi" or "Futuristic" section.) The same would be true for fantasy. It's not real; so put it in a marked section, just for fantasy. Of course; if you're modeling a place like Disneyland; then by all means, include fantasy creatures like dragons and the like. However; they are limited to dragons that Disney created, like Maleficent. If you do a straight Fantasy section you can include anything in the realms of fantasy that you wish. You can do an all-dragon section; plus add dragons of your own design. If you do a Futuristic section; it's a bit more restricted. Futuristic means it could really happen, just in the future; thus, you can't put things like an "X-Wing Starfighter" in there. Star Wars is more fiction than science. But you CAN put Star Trek's original USS Enterprise (Gene Roddenberry's design) in there; for example, because the basic principles have already been proven scientifically; and all we're missing is the Warp Drive.
Zuletzt geändert von Saphira123456 am Dienstag 15. Juli 2014, 02:28, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

HahNullMuehr
Forumane

Beitrag von HahNullMuehr » Dienstag 15. Juli 2014, 01:49

Dear Saphira,

let me, please, give You at least one advice: Use “CARRIAGE RETURN” (or “ENTER”, if You prefer that) more often.
It will make Your posts a bit more legible.

Let me pick only some of your objections:
Saphira123456 hat geschrieben:[...] 1. Track: 3-Rail track, [...]
There were kind of 3-rail-tracks in Hamburg, but since they are all worn after the years, they will be replaced with tracks without the center dot-contacts (Märklin-System).
Saphira123456 hat geschrieben: […]4. Corrections and improvements[…] A rail tunnel […] Even if it just went to England; we'd never finish drilling before we suffocated down there[…]
You ARE aware that there is something called the Euro-Tunnel, connecting France and England?

But in general, while You are threathening with the F score for realism, You seem to miss an important detail again: Who calls for realism? The millions of Miniature Wunderland visitors surely do not! They (including me) love those little unreal scenes they can encounter anywhere, and if it is on the second glance. If I was out to meet some hyper realistic detailed layout, I would not visit MiWuLa.
Saphira123456 hat geschrieben: […]5. Theme = […]: you have a model of the mysterious Area 51[…] Area 51's contents are Classified; […]
Hold it! WHERE did You get this information? That’s classified! You have NO permission to post this in public!

Regards :wink:
Micha W. Muehr, Rösrath
Meine Bastelstunde gibt es auch auf YouTube.
Ich mach es lieber am Anfang exakt - und schluder später ein bisschen. Wenn ich schlampig anfange, krieg ich es am Ende nicht wieder genau.

Saphira123456

Beitrag von Saphira123456 » Freitag 25. Juli 2014, 19:13

HahNullMuehr hat geschrieben:Dear Saphira,

let me, please, give You at least one advice: Use “CARRIAGE RETURN” (or “ENTER”, if You prefer that) more often.
It will make Your posts a bit more legible.

Let me pick only some of your objections:
Saphira123456 hat geschrieben:[...] 1. Track: 3-Rail track, [...]
There were kind of 3-rail-tracks in Hamburg, but since they are all worn after the years, they will be replaced with tracks without the center dot-contacts (Märklin-System).

Saphira123456 hat geschrieben: […]4. Corrections and improvements[…] A rail tunnel […] Even if it just went to England; we'd never finish drilling before we suffocated down there[…]
You ARE aware that there is something called the Euro-Tunnel, connecting France and England?

But in general, while You are threathening with the F score for realism, You seem to miss an important detail again: Who calls for realism? The millions of Miniature Wunderland visitors surely do not! They (including me) love those little unreal scenes they can encounter anywhere, and if it is on the second glance. If I was out to meet some hyper realistic detailed layout, I would not visit MiWuLa.
Saphira123456 hat geschrieben: […]5. Theme = […]: you have a model of the mysterious Area 51[…] Area 51's contents are Classified; […]
Hold it! WHERE did You get this information? That’s classified! You have NO permission to post this in public!

Regards :wink:
First; my 3-Rail tracks are of s much higher quality; and are built to last.

Second; as for the Euro-Tunnel (AKA the Channel Tunnel or "Chunnel"): it was only accomplished in recent times; with modern; high-speed electric trains and mostly-automated drilling equipment. I am modeling the steam era; with no diesels, turbines (except for steam turbines,) or electric locomotives to be found. Just pure steam. The smoke and steam from the locomotives and/or the fumes from the tunneling equipment from those days would end up killing us due to inhalation. Otherwise the "Chunnel" would have been done in the steam era.

Third; ALL serious model railroaders want to see realism. Now; I will admit that because you are a public exhibition, you do need to make some sacrifices. Thus; you can't do prototypical operations because it would require more room than you have; and visitors would get in the way. If you wanted to automate the many prototypical moves that railroads do; it would take a ton of programming. So that's out. But there are certain things that wouldn't take as much effort.

Fourth; Everyone knows that Area 51's contents are unknown; and thus, you can infer that it is classified. (After all; it's not like they're giving public tours of the place; hell, they have signs posted everywhere that say the guards on the base WILL FIRE on you WITH INTENT TO KILL if you attempt entry into the base!)

Antworten